As a friend recently remarked, it seems cruel and unusual that when the weather in Austin is at its most beautiful, it is also at its most deadly. Allergy-sufferers take refuge in symptom-relieving drugs, baths, naps, and even binge drinking. May I suggest one more salve: cornbread
This cornbread recipe was born of achey ears, itchy eyes, and a broken spirit. Pair it with lightly salted butter and a friend immune to your pouting.
1 Cup white flour (I use einkorn…but I’m a dork)
1 Cup corn meal (fine-ground dried corn)
¼ cup polenta (course-ground dried corn)
½ cup buckwheat flour
2.5 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
2 eggs OR one egg and one very, very, very ripe banana*
1 cup plain yogurt ( I use non-fat greek)
1.5 cup almond milk (or whatever milk you like.)
2 T honey (unless you are using banana, then you don’t need it)
2/3 cup of frozen corn ( or a small can of creamed corn )
up to 1 C grated cheese
Chopped jalapenos (pickled)
Also: Sesame seeds
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 and grease a 10-12 inch cast iron skillet with bacon fat. Make sure to grease at least half way up the sides.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and stir thoroughly. Make a well in the center.
- Combine wet ingredients in a blender using the almond milk to make it go smoothly. Allow it to run a little longer than necessary to get it airy.
- Add wet to dry and fold with a rubber spatula in one direction until all dry ingredients are non-powdery. (You may need to add more milk)
- Add optional ingredients (not seeds) and fold lightly.
- Pour into greased pan and spread to an even height with the back of the spatula.
- Sprinkle with a handful of sesame seeds and cook on center or lowest rack for 20 min or until well browned.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes, then remove bread from pan and let it cool on an elevated cooling rack.
- Eat warm with salted butter!
*If I use a banana it is so brown and slimy it seems it might slither away.